CodeAbbey - sum of digits

Oforth examples. Feel free to post your own code.

CodeAbbey - sum of digits

Postby sotolf » 08 Sep 2015 11:33

In this specific task they did not want an integer converted to a string and then pull out the digits, so I had to be a bit more creative, but it was a fun one, if a bit simple.

Code: Select all
: getLn { System.Console askln }                                                // ( <stdin> -- string )
: getNumber { getLn asInteger }                                                 // ( <stdin> -- integer )
: pprint { apply(#.) printcr }                                                  // ( [a] -- <stdout> )
: getInput { [] getNumber #[ getLn + ] times }                                  // ( <stdin> -- [string] )
: parseLine { words map(#asInteger) }                                           // ( string -- [integer] )
: digits { [] swap while( dup 9 > ) [ 10 /mod tor + swap ] + reverse }          // ( number -- [number] )
: solveLine { parseLine dup third swap dup second swap first * + digits sum }   // (string -- int)

getInput map(#solveLine) pprint
sotolf

Re: CodeAbbey - sum of digits

Postby Franck » 08 Sep 2015 13:09

Hi,

Ok, so now it is confirmed, you don't like locals :)
That's fine, no problem, of course (I don't want to make you change your coding style).

But somethimes, it can be very useful, and could be considered instead of stack operations.
For instance, here, a local allows to easily accumulate the sum of digits of a number on the stack without stack manipulations :

: sumDigits(n) { 0 while(n) [ n 10 /mod ->n + ] }
Franck

Postby sotolf » 08 Sep 2015 13:59

Ok, so now it is confirmed, you don't like locals

Hehe, I'm kind of not thinking of them that often when doing forth like things, and I've been reading through starting forth over my vacation, so I kind of forget that they are there.

Seeing your solution I could make mine simpler as well, I was thinking too complicated, it would be enough to sum the digits instead of putting them into a list first :)
sotolf

Postby Franck » 08 Sep 2015 14:50

Yes, of course.

Without a local, code would be :

: sumDigits { 0 swap while( dup ) [ 10 /mod tor + swap ] drop }

Well, this is just a different coding style, but I read the version with one local easier...

btw, without a local, I think this is a case where a combinator (like the ones you have mentionned) is interesting :

: dip(bl, x) { bl perform x }

: sumDigits { 0 swap while( dup ) [ 10 /mod #+ dip ] drop }
Franck

Postby sotolf » 09 Sep 2015 07:07

Well, this is just a different coding style, but I read the version with one local easier...

Yeah I think it is also easier for most people to read it :) I'm finally (mostly thanks to oforth) starting to understand normal forth also better, and in going through exercises doing gforth the stack shuffeling kind of gets to your head :)

btw, without a local, I think this is a case where a combinator (like the ones you have mentionned) is interesting :

yeah, that's exactly what they are used for, and it's not so much needed when you have locals like in oforth, they really save up on stack shuffeling, and like my kind of stupid version of
 : solveLine { parseLine dup third swap dup second swap first * + digits sum } 

which would be nicer with locals

: solveLine(lst) { parseline lst third lst second lst first * + digits sum }

would be even nicer with combinators

: solveLine { parseline [ third ] [ second ] [ first ] tri * + digits sum }

They are quite nifty, and when one gets used to them they aren't really that difficult to use either, even though it's a bit difficult to come up with usecases when one just see them :)
sotolf

Return to Oforth examples