Foreign Function Interface

Oforth is a new language and is evolving. If you have any suggestions about syntax, behaviour, new fonctionalities,.. it's here.

Foreign Function Interface

Postby sotolf » 08 Sep 2015 12:01

Does oforth have, or plan to add a FFI? I see that http://www.8th-dev.com has one, but that language is very proprietary, and I kind of like how oforth is working a lot better, it would be nice with thoughts of adding something like gui support to oforth. I'm not sure how big of an undertaking it would be to add something like an FFI to a language, but it would be cool to have something like it, the closest that one can get now from what I see is to cobble something together with a bash script called with the System #cmd command, but it's a bit more than troublesome.
sotolf

Re: Foreign Function Interface

Postby Franck » 09 Sep 2015 07:31

Hello,

Support to FFI in already on progress (current version already have some FFI support), but it is not stable and I'am not satisfied with it.

What is planned for future versions :
- V0.9.22 : incremental GC + disassembler.
- V0.9.23 : FFI support + full OS interface (directories, ...).
- V0.9.24 : some math packages + multi-dimensional accessors.

==> Then, I think Oforth will be V1.0

Franck
Franck

Re: Foreign Function Interface

Postby sotolf » 09 Sep 2015 07:55

Cool :) Thanks for the roadmap, that makes oforth look even more interesting, the best thing about it to me, compared with a lot of languages is that it's fun, that's something that aren't to be forgotten, it's just nice to see how the data flows through words, it's kind of like a dataflow language, it quite often reminds me of how we do work with pentaho at my work, data flow through words, and the right things come out on the other end :)
sotolf

Return to Suggestions