OS Directory Operations

If you have any questions, remarks, ... if you need help... its here...

OS Directory Operations

Postby Will.Rubin » 04 Sep 2015 11:49

Any way to do OS directory operations? Create directory, gather files, etc.?
Will.Rubin

Re: OS Directory Operations

Postby Franck » 04 Sep 2015 22:35

Hello,

This is one of the things that has to be added to Oforth. It is scheduled, but not ready yet.

Currently, you have operations on files (open, read, write, ...).
And you have #cmd method on System class that allow to execute a command.

#cmd ( aString System -- u )

For instance :
Code: Select all
"mkdir xxx" System cmd

will create a directory into the current directory (if Linux, use "md" if Windows).

Franck

PS : Testing this, I found a bug on #cmd return value when the command is KO. Will fix this on next released.
Franck

Postby Will.Rubin » 05 Sep 2015 12:52

Okay, thanks.

It's nice to see oforth still progressing. I know it's very time consuming to create a language. I really like the spot you've hit between Forth's stack manipulation and your local variables and parameterized calls.
Will.Rubin

Postby Franck » 05 Sep 2015 20:47

Thank you,

Yes, it is time consuming :) I think I will reach my priorities for Oforth V1 soon :
- Namespaces are ok into the previous release and allow to write independant packages.
- Incremental garbage collector is for the next release.
- Then, I think one or two releases and Oforth will, at last reach V1.0.0, probably by the end of the year.
Franck

Postby sotolf » 07 Sep 2015 08:30

Will.Rubin wrote:Okay, thanks.

It's nice to see oforth still progressing. I know it's very time consuming to create a language. I really like the spot you've hit between Forth's stack manipulation and your local variables and parameterized calls.

Yeah, it's really nice, while I don't care too much about the local variables most of the time, the niceties with having lists on the stack, and functional words, while still being easier to see through than factor (it's just so massive) I just really like how small, useful, and nice oforth is, for me it's just such a nice language to use, I still have a lot to learn, and I don't think I would use it in production, at least yet, it's such a fun and nice language to work with that I already am starting to wish I could.
sotolf

Postby Franck » 07 Sep 2015 14:43

Thanks for your returns sotolf,

After next release (V0.9.22) where changes are very sensitive, I think that Oforth will enter into a stable state until Oforth V1.0 is ready.
Franck

Return to General